Travel & Visa Information

Vancouver is an easily accessible city. With one of the second busiest airports in Canada, international travel to and from the city has never been easier.

For more information on travelling to Vancouver and information regarding Electronic Travel Visas (eTA), please click on the tabs below.

Transport from the Airport

Vancouver International Airport is located 8 miles (13 km) from the congress venue. Taxis and car rentals are readily available at Vancouver International Airport and the journey will take 30-40 minutes (longer during peak traffic hours) and is a fixed cost. For more information, please click here.

The Canada Line is a completely automated commuter rail system which offers direct and efficient service between the airport and downtown Vancouver. Congress delegates can take the Canada Line directly from the airport (YVR Station) to downtown (Waterfront Station). The train ride takes 25 minutes. Waterfront Station is conveniently connected to the Vancouver Convention Centre.

Public Transport Around Vancouver

Vancouver's public transport network allows easy travel around the city - it includes buses, rapid transit systems (SkyTrain and Canada Line), as well as sea buses and water ferries. Taxis can also be easily hailed from the street. All taxis in Vancouver are safe, clean, efficient and metered by law.

Please note that Uber is not yet in effect in Vancouver, but should be by 2019.


Vancouver International Airport (YVR) is Canada’s second busiest airport, welcoming over 17 million passengers a year. Over 62 airlines operate out of YVR, connecting people and businesses to over 100 destinations around the world. YVR is easily accessible to Greater Vancouver by public transportation, shuttle, taxi and car.

For detailed information on the airport facilities and transportation, please refer to their website at for further details.


Visitors entering Canada must clear Canada Customers border security upon entry.

To visit Canada, you must have a valid travel document, such as a passport. Passports should be valid for at least six months after the planned date of arrival in Canada.

Entry into Canada

Citizens of some countries and territories need a visa to visit Canada. Visit the Government of Canada website to find out if you need a visa by clicking here.

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Visa-exempt foreign nationals need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents do not need to apply for an eTA. Entry requirements for other methods of travel (land, sea) have not changed.

Find out more about Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

Congress Newsletter


Subscribe to the Newsletter to receive important information about the upcoming congress.